For some, summer smells like cocoa butter. For others, sweat. And then there are those for whom it smells like a nasty combination of pluff mud, horse piss, rotten fish, and an Ohio pork belly sizzling in the burning sun. Pork belly? Mmm. Now we're thinking about food. Hmm. What else would we like to eat right now?
1. Corn. Whether it's in the husk, buttered and wrapped up in foil, or done Mexican street food-style, — mmm, chili powder and lime juice — maize is amazing.
2. Skirt Steak. Forget filet. Say bye-bye to ribeye. Toodles to T-bones. Skirt steak and its sister, the lowly flank steak, are the best value when it comes to the grill. And the tastiest too.
3. Pineapple. Want to throw a luau? Well, then you'll need to buy a pineapple. It tastes even better with a little bit of char.
4. Salmon. Marinate it in some kind of teriyaki mixture or perhaps a bourbon-and-brown-sugar concoction, and you've got a winner.
5. Squash, zucchini, eggplant. Olive oil, salt, and pepper — that's all you need for these fellas. Just be on the lookout for the ones quoting Bible verses.
6. Luthers. Nothing is more white-trash hipster cool than this concoction: a grilled hamburger patty on a Krispy Kreme doughnut, sliced through the middle like a bun. But we didn't need to tell you that. You've been licking the beefy and sugary glaze off your plastic NASCAR TV trays for months.
7. The Bacon Explosion. We haven't had this ourselves, but we just had a coronary thinking about it.
8. Vic Rawl's campaign signs. A rare treat if you can find them.
9. Parking tickets. Come on. You know you're never going to pay them.
10. Maya Lin's Spoleto poster. Making art is now easier than ever.