5Church is coming to Market St. from Charlotte, NC
Google Street View
Mad River Bar & Grill will become 5Church restaurant
The fate of the former Mad River location has been revealed. Charlotte, N.C.'s 5Church
restaurant has secured the lease of the abruptly closed bar and grill,
and MAP Management hospitality group plans to open the new 5Church Charleston restaurant by early summer 2015.
Here's what we know about the brand:
- The Charlotte 5Church executive chef and partner, Jamie Lynch, was voted “Best Chef” in 2013 and 2014 by Charlotte Magazine.
- 5Church's name comes from its Charlotte location at the southeast corner of North Church Street and 5th Street (the new digs in a former house of worship is merely a real estate boon)
- 5Church Charlotte's bar has 130 wines selected by its sommelier, along with craft and bottled beer and "a finely curated cocktail list created by an award-winning mixologist team."
- The restaurant interior design appears to be metropolitan chic with big, bold lighting, long community tables, and expansive banquettes. 5Church describes itself as a "casual, yet refined dining experience within a sophisticated ambiance."
- The menu runs the gamut from Wagyu heart of ribeye to kabocha and fennel sausage pierogies with pork belly spring rolls and crispy marinated tofu thrown in for good measure. With its huge menu, it appears 5Church wants to appeal to all palates, which could be a winning game plan for the tourist heavy Market area.
- Map Management also owns Nan and Byron’s restaurant in Charlotte’s South End
- 5Church popped up in the NY Times' '36 Hours in Charlotte' when they visited the Queen City back in August.
But the real question on our minds is, given the late-night moratorium, will 5Church carry on Mad River's 2 a.m. closing? The restaurant's publicist Alejandro Torio says while the hours are tentative, "I doubt we'll be open late till 2 a.m. We're a restaurant first."
5Church will be open:
Sunday-Saturday for dinner from 5 p.m.-till
Saturday & Sunday for Brunch from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Monday-Friday for Lunch 11 a.m.-3 p.m.