by Paul Bowers
The funeral of the Rev. Sen. Clementa Pinckney will take place at 11 a.m. today in the TD Arena (301 Meeting St.).
The arena seats about 5,400 people, and priority will be given to family members, AME Church members, and dignitaries. Any remaining seats will be available to the public and will be at a first come, first serve basis. Once capacity has been reached, public gathering will not be allowed outside of the arena.
Due to the limited capacity of the TD Arena, several other venues have been set up for people to watch a broadcast of the funeral service:
The City of Charleston and law enforcement agencies have been providing updates on funeral and security arrangements at charleston-sc.gov/info. The following information was provided on road closures for the funeral:
The following roads and areas will be closed at 6 a.m. on Friday:
• Meeting Street from Calhoun Street to Wentworth Street
• George Street from King Street to Meeting Street
From King Street to Meeting Street, the following roads are also closed:
• Society Street
• George Street
• Burns Lane
All parking in this area is being controlled and restricted.
The following additional roads and areas will be closed at 7 a.m. on Friday:
• Meeting Street from John Street to Calhoun Street
• Hutson Street from King Street to Meeting Street
• Charlotte Street from Elizabeth Street to Meeting Street
• Henrietta Street from Elizabeth Street to Meeting Street
• Calhoun Street from Elizabeth Street to Meeting Street
• Calhoun Street from King Street to Meeting Street
The following additional roads and areas will be closed at noon on Friday:
• Calhoun Street from East Bay Street to King Street
• George Street from East Bay Street to King Street
• Laurens Street at East Bay Street
• Society Street from East Bay Street to King Street
Public parking for the funeral will be located at the S.C. Ports Authority at the corner of Concord Street and Laurens Street. The S.C. Aquarium Parking Garage at Liberty Square, the Gaillard Auditorium Parking Garage at 2 George Street, the Francis Marion Hotel Parking Garage at 387 King Street, and the Visitor's Center Parking Garage at 63 Mary Street will also be available. Parking is free at these garages.
Shuttles from the S.C. Aquarium Parking Garage and Ports Authority parking lot will operate on a five-to-ten-minute increment, traffic conditions permitting. Drop off for passengers being transported by shuttle to the TD Arena will be at Calhoun Street, between King and Meeting Street. Pick-up of passengers after the ceremony will be at the same location.
Shuttles will operate between 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. or until the TD Arena is full. The shuttles will operate after the funeral until all passengers are transported back to the S.C. Aquarium Parking Garage and the S.C. Ports Authority parking lot.
No large bags or carry-ons will be allowed on the shuttles or in the TD Arena.