Tax season is pretty easy — and rewarding — for those of us with one major source of income, and the IRS has an entire page dedicated to free filing websites
But if you have multiple W-2s, don't know what exemptions you qualify for, or you're filing jointly with a new spouse for the first time, the City of Charleston and the nonprofit SC Thrive have partnered up to offer five
free tax clinics through the end of March, according to a press release from the city.
Eligible citizens who make less than $65,000 a year, or $95,000 for a married couple filing jointly, can file their state and
federal taxes for free with the help of trained tax counselors.
You can drop in from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at any of the following tax clinics on the dates below:
- Sat. Feb. 16 at James Island Recreation Complex, 1088 Quail Drive
- Sat. Feb. 23 at Bees Landing Recreation Center, 1580 Ashley Gardens Blvd.
- Sat. March 2 at Arthur Christopher Community Center, 265 Fishburne St.
- Sat. March 9 at Forest Park Playground, 780 Playground Road
- Sat. March 30 at St. Julian Devine Community Center, 1 Cooper St.
"Filing taxes can be an expensive and overwhelming undertaking for many, and these clinics will help reduce the cost to our residents and make sure they are receiving the refunds and credits they’ve earned," said Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg in a statement.
SC Thrive helped file almost 3,000 tax returns in the tri-county area last year, according to the city.
for more info.
Trident United Way is also partnering with SC Thrive to offer free tax consultations by appointment in Berkeley and Dorchester counties. Visit tuw.org/freetaxes
for more info.