1. James Island County Park. JI's dog park is arguably the best in Charleston, with acres of land for dogs to run around, plus a lake for little swimmers. The only downside: It's almost too big. Between the size of the park and all of the other pooches there, you have to work hard to keep track of your own dog.
2. Riverfront Park. With plenty of shade, views of the river, and an agility course, Riverfront Park is a favorite stop for North Chuck residents.
3. Isle of Palms. The Isle of Palms is the only local beach that doesn't restrict pooch time in the summer. Leashes are required, except between 5 and 8 a.m., when dogs can be under voice command.
4. Palmetto Islands County Park. Located out in Mt. Pleasant near Boone Hall Plantation, Palmetto Islands features lots of shady paths for dog-walking on-leash and a big, sunny field to let them run off-leash. There's a separate agility course as well.
5. Hampton Park Dog Run. Some downtown dogs may not have a big yard to run around in, but thankfully, a lot of their parents take them to the conveniently located Hampton Park Dog Run on Grove Street. It's on the small side, but there's enough space for dogs to run and sniff around, plus chairs in the shade for their two-legged friends.